The King of Carbs?
Sweet potato is my favorite source of starchy carbohydrates. They are nutrient dense, quick to prepare and have a low impact on blood sugar levels compared to white potatos.
For athletes following a paleo diet, or anyone else for that matter, Sweet Potato is the king of carbs!
Thank you Mum…
So, this Christmas my Mum went out of her way to ensure she had all the foods that I would eat. White potato is out of the question, so she decided to make me some sweet potato wedges.
I know in the past I had mentioned to her I made them with cinnamon, so she hunted for a recipe to make me some as a surprise.
Well I was surprised, “I have made you some wedges, I used cinnamon and garlic”, I must have screwed my face up a bit at this.
I love Garlic, I love Cinnamon, but putting them together? It just sounded wrong!
But, let me tell you, they were amazing!
Here’s my recipe for making these glorious wedges. Let me know what you think and share it with your friends.
Garlic & Cinnamon Sweet Potato Wedges
- 500g Sweet potato
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Pre heat your oven to 220c
- Peel your wedges and chop them in half longways, then lay them on the flat side and slice them into ‘oven chip’ thick sized strips.
- They can be as long as you want, so cut them in half if you want smaller wedges.
- Now place all the wedges into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, melt your coconut oil and mix in the cinnamon and garlic.
- Now poor the mixture over your wedges. Then spend a few minutes flipping the wedges in the bowl. I hold either side of the top and flick my wrists so they rotate. This should give all of your wedges an even coverage of the coconut oil mixture.
- Lay some aluminium foil on a large baking tray and place the wedges on top. Make sure each wedge has its own space and don’t let them go on top of one another. If you do them like this there should be no need to turn them.
- Now place them in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. I like mine crispy so 30 minutes is about right for me.